Thursday, 16 August 2007

Update on life in Amrit and Toni's world, by the Wife

Hello, yes it's me, lady of the flat speaking and I thought it was about time I put pen to paper, or in this case, tips to keyboard. Lots to tell so let's get underway...

The last few weeks has seen us attend 3 Indian weddings. I realised only the other day when speaking to friends that I have never attended an English wedding - luckily I will be fortunate to attend my dear friend Charlotte's wedding to her Dan next year and do away with this absurd and unwanted record I hold. I must have attended a thousand Sikh weddings in my lifetime, if not more. That's the (debatable) plus side to having such a large family, which comes as a pre-requisite to being an Indian, and most certainly a Sikh. So Indian weddings were experienced, both Sikh and Hindu-Gujurati. All ceremonies were grand and emotional. I shed a tear here and there on reflex, but I managed to keep my makeup in tact by tilting head back and waiting for eyes to dry. So lots of good food and drink and parties and dancing, for even Toni had a jig on the dance floor which made my day.

In between the mayhem of marriages and finding time for shuteye and work my arse off at work, I received some brilliant news: my firm offered me a (NQ) position on qualifying as a solicitor. You see, and fellow hardworkers will know, you can spend all your life, your money and your soul trying to making a career but if you don't get a job at the end of it it's all worth nothing. So from March of this year I began an intense job hunt. Like many other trainees, it was a daunting, stressful, sleepless time for me. Toni was a great support to ensure I didn't spiral into depression about the prospect of not having a job come October. My firm opened a position late in the running and after racing through the internal recruitment process, offered me a job. Not just any job. I've always wanted to make it into the corporate world. Be that big-shot lawyer who wins mega-deals. So when my firm released the jobs back in March there was no opportunity in Corporate. So I resigned myself to leaving the much loved firm I had spent the last 18 months training with and underwent interviews at other firms. After 4 years of not having an interview, it was good experience. But then
the opportunity came in June. And it has all worked out in the end. Like many had told me, I would end up where I was meant to. I think I have done just that.


Immediately after finding out - this occured on Monday 29 July - I called Toni and blabbered onto him about the good news. It was such a relief that I could not help myself from bawling like a baby. I called Dad and emailed Mum and Toni told the rest of the world. This led to an off-the-hook phone come the evening. Tina and Masis phoned a congratulations and texts were flooding in. Then, the next day I got ill. It all started with a tickly throat. I thought it might just be a sign of weakness and so decided to have extra rest. The I got very ill very quickly and the next day, had to leave work early to come home. I had zero energy. I had fever. I was having headaches. My tickly throat had become a terrible cough where I struggled to breathe. I sent for the doctor the next morning who played it down as a "throat infection" - it felt like the flu. And so I stayed home from work for days, sleeping 13/14 hours and keeping myself occupied with daytime tv and 24, Series 3. I missed the lovely sunshine we had that week. I missed some important functions of my friend's wedding. Today is the first day I feel my energy levels are back with me. The anti-biotics did their job by getting me back to work but it has taken an addtional 2 weeks for me to fully recover, of which I am glad to say I have. Good old greens are the cure.

Coming back to work after being ill is certainly not pleasant. Especially when you're only 40% better and you work in a real estate department. Not good at all. I have been running around like a headless chicken, somehow managing to keep it all together and finally getting on top of it all. Success and a hoorah from the opportunity came in June. And it has all worked out in the end. Like many had told me, I would end up where I was meant to. I think I have done just that. Success and a hoorah from me.

So what is left? Well Toni and I have begun house-hunting which has co-incided with the start of the new season. The Reds have won their first two games, at home and in Europe - I'm hoping Gerrard is fit for the clash this weekend - we'll need our full strength to beat the Blues.

It's still sunny but starting to turn cooler. Kamal's wedding is just round the corner. Not just any wedding but a family wedding, which, seeing as he is my brother, will be great fun. We're looking forward.

At the Bhullars, life never stops moving - we'll keep you posted at it happens. For now, in the words of my dear friend Skye, "peace, love and hairgrease" to you all xx

No comments: