As I sit at my desk on the 7th, I look back at the weekend and wonder how quickly it has passed. Our dear friend Jd is moving south to be closer to us. The main reason for the move is that he has got a job and so we look forward to seeing him more often now (no excuses Jd!) - congratulations to him.
The family dinner on Saturday was a success, with the exception of watered down coffee (no wonder there was no froth). My Chacha and Chachis enjoyed my muttar paneer and gobi sabjis and mum was a great help. We gossiped away, which was certainly overdue because we hadn't spent quality time together in the last 12 months. Mum was great. It was therapy just spending time with her and after all the cooking and cleaning and getting ready, we welcomed the family in.
They came bearing flowers, chocolates and a saucepan - exactly what I needed. I was surprised that they managed to find our home without the need of our assistance. It is sometimes difficult to obtain a map of our area because it is a newly built town. The internet however is a great source, as is SatNav. We did tours of the house, showing everyone our bright coloured rooms. We served tea, did prayers and then gave the mums a rest and got the dinner ready. Aman, Gurjeet and I made the rotis and then served. I think this was the first time in history that our mums were waited on and served whilst us "kids" did the dinner. It felt nice to serve them. With Gu cheesecake on the menu set in wonderful "ramikins", dessert was the icing on the cake, that is until the coffee was served. My fault entirely - for some reason I thought that frothy coffee would need to have water in it - I was way off the mark. A lesson well learnt.
Everyone said their goodbyes at around 11.30 with smiles on their faces and tummies full of food. It was a lovely evening.
We decided to go buy some paint on Sunday to finish off decorating the upper floor of the house and send out some photos to eagerly-waiting friends and family. Toni has been gifted with a few day's rest so he plans on doing as much as he can in his break. Apparently watching tv isn't stimulating enough these days. We ended up walking to the retail park as the weather was beautiful: bright skies and crisp air. We returned with 15litres of paint, 4litres of white spirit and a ladder. Of course Toni being the gentleman and having his male-pride would not let me carry a thing even after repeated requests. Poor thing was puffing and panting when we reached home!
The stairwell is now complete and fully yellow. Toni also fitted a new lightshade in the spare room and painted the ceiling. He is a wonderful man, my husband. He doesn't waste any time. Meanwhile I was re-sorted the kitchen - nothing spectacular I admit, but I finally feel like things are in their places now - although I'm sure some re-jigging will be done before the month is out.
It is such a nice task to make your home, such a nice feeling to fix things and put things away. I feel like the house is becoming our home more and more everyday and I look forward to that familiar family home feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment