What a year, and it hasn’t ended yet. We tried to start writing our blog at the beginning of this year, hoping that we would have time to write a few words every now and then. Little did we know that we would be in for a rollercoaster ride of disaster, chaos, reflection and change. I’m glad to say that the good times are here again and hopefully to stay – some would say we have gone full circle, others might say we have turned a corner.
To keep a long sad story short (and if I can remember everything that happened – believe me there was a lot), Toni got demoted and I got made redundant, courtesy of the recession. Our fridge stopped working and boiler broke down. We had a leak through our kitchen ceiling and a window got broken in our bedroom (kids playing football or something). Then Papa died.
It was an intense few weeks in which this all happened. Toni and I got to the point where we were rolling our sleeves up, looking up at the sky and yelling “what next? Bring it on!”. So much change in such a little space of time. It was hard to take it all in.
We are happy to say that we have replaced the fridge, had the boiler fixed and had the kitchen ceiling repaired. The window is still outstanding but we will be getting that fixed soon.
In terms of work, Toni was demoted on paper and paid peanuts but expected to carry out the same duties. With the unemployment rate reaching nearly 2.5million (figures out this week) and fewer jobs out there for the taking, he had little choice but to carry on. He has been working crazy hours and for 3 months we had hardly seen each other. I did a paralegal stint at Lovells and then sat at home threatening to shoot myself having gardened myself out of things to do and ran myself into the ground (I did the 10k British Race in very hot weather with wanting to wee the whole time). I am now working in the public sector taking a relaxed approach to life, having made some lovely friends in my colleagues.
Toni successfully renewed his visa and can remain here indefinitely. His immediate thought was of his parents. He worked several 19-hour shifts in 10 days and then jetted off to see them – a first in two years. A week later he was back at the slog working his guts out. Until 2 weeks ago. Which is when our super-plan came to fruition.
We had spoken about our dream before we got married of a road trip to Norway by car via mainland Europe and when we had returned from our road trip to Scotland last year we planned to do Europe in the summer of 2009. After the economic bang they call the recession, the plan was blown out of the water and parked for another lifetime. But somehow we managed to get back on track with finances and keep our heads (barely) above water. What spurred us on though was the need, more than anything, to spend time with each other. So we went on our road trip on 31 July and it was fantastic – pictures are up on FB.
We drove through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany to reach Scandinavia. We stayed in Oslo, Geirenger and Trondheim in Norway, Hudiksvall near Stockholm in Sweden, and Copenhagen in Denmark. We stayed with friends, camped in a tent and even stayed in a hotel courtesy of our dear friend Stian. Stian had won a competition, the prize being a night’s stay including dinner and breakfast. We gladly obliged. Toni and I spent time with family and friends as well as each other. Just being in the same room/space at the same time, saying little if nothing to each other, healed the stress of not seeing my hubby.
I have come back having fallen in love with Norway and fallen head over heels for my husband all over again J.
Norway felt like home because of our family and friends that live there. It felt like home because it was relaxed, beautiful and cultural. The air was clean and the views breathtaking. What I loved about Norway is that life is simpler, easier and just as fun. There is no “rat race” lifestyle. The country puts a huge emphasis on home life and making sure that you have time to spend with you nearest. Norway does not allow its employees to work more than a 40 hour week. It is also the fifth highest paying country in the world. Minimum wage is around the £14-15 mark.
I have bought a self-teach pack to learn Norwegian and who knows, Toni and I might just end up there for good soon. At the very least I will be able to speak with and write to my niece and nephew in their native language.
The crash we have experienced this year has made me realise what is important in life. Sometimes you need to sail the rough seas to appreciate the life that you have. Toni and I are still honeymooners when it comes to being married. He is my best friend and we are lucky to have good health. We both have jobs which can pay the bills and we live in a lovely house. We have a loving family and circle of friends that would drop everything if we ever called them for help. We have a car which, admittedly broke down (twice) in Norway but gets us from A to B without any other hitch.
What I have realised is that I had been racing through life without stopping to take a breath and realise what I have in the present moment. The city culture in London is to live a fast life and to get ahead as soon as possible. That would mean working all the hours God sends at the expense of a social life. Toni would encourage me because he knew it was my goal to be promoted. He would support me when I had to work late and weekends. The lawyer in me still wants to work with business. But now I am appreciating something I said a long time ago to my dad (which he reminded me of recently): work is a means of making money only. We do not work to live. We work so that we can play.
And so we’re back on the blog – for good. Keep reading – there will be plenty more to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment