Tuesday, 27 March 2007

Another weekend another wedding


Well folks, here we go again.
It was the wedding of my cousin in my village of Bodi Wala Kharak Singh, which is about 260km from my home town of Chandigarh. But the drive there took more that 7 grueling hours, the reason being my great adventures on the highways of Jaipur (see last blog entry) had not convinced my dad of my driving skills. So strict instructions were given by the military man that his cars will not be driven over the speed limit of 60km/h. So me being me and with a wounded ego, gave myself a buffer of 5km/h, so 55km/h it was the whole way. Tough, I must say it was.

My village is in an area of Punjab where it seems like time is standing still, like everything takes its own time. If I am correct Einstein would have had a big problem explaining this phenomenon. Everything happens in slow motion. I am not blaming the people for it because they have become so used to it that I think they might be living in different dimensions. They have taken a chill pill for life. They seem to be happy in freeze mode and I am happy for them.

To give you a good example about the time consideration, on the wedding day that groom and all his family were about 3 hours late. So to reciprocate their great gesture we, the brides family were 3 and half hours late for the party the next day. If you are the type of person who lives by their watch I guess you should go live in the Swiss mountains where time is taken very seriously. The vast fields and pastures of the interior Punjab are for those who like to see Einstein's theories turned on their heads. This is the place for you. You don't need to be high on anything to see the world go by in slow motion.

Well as you all can see I'm not that interested in telling you about the wedding. I think you have had your fill of weddings from our previous posts. This wedding was a great opportunity to meet my cousins, who I have not met in years. To be honest I could not even remember their names, IT WAS THAT LONG. Apart from a few odd, embarrassing moments where I didn't have a clue whether it was my cousin or my uncle and where I was addressing people by wrong names, I had a great time.

One thing I noticed was that all of us (my cousins and I) had nicknames which did not remotely match our real names or our personality. As all of you know my name is Tejinder, and nickname is Toni. I don't know how my family came to that name, but now I know I am not the only case of this nickname syndrome. Apparently the whole family suffers from it (not just my dad's side but my mum's side too). So their real names might be Gurmeen, Amrinder, Brigashwar which are put into a name-converting-machine, after which, weighing all the facts and figures, takes out names which have the furthest correlation imaginable to their real names. Oh! So the answers would be Sonia, Jolly, Bunny. After being 3 nights away from my computer I had to come back home. As you all know the net has become the lifeline between Amrit and I. The last three days have been tough not seeing her online, talking our days through and seeing each other smile. So a very early morning bus back home and here I am online with my wife.
Gurmeen kaur Brar or Sonia or both

No comments: